Q: What is futsal?
A: Futsal is a variant of association football (soccer) played on a hard court, smaller than a soccer field, and mainly indoors. It can be considerd a version of five-a-side football (soccer). Futsal is played between two teams of five players each, one of whom is the goalkeeper. Unlimited substitutions are permitted.
Q: Does futsal translate to outdoor soccer?
A: Yes. Many of the top soccer players in the world started their careers as youth futsal players in the streets of Brazil, Spain, and Argentina. US Soccer is promoting the game of futsal to all of its Academy Programs.
Q: Why is the ball special?
A: The futsal ball is designed to NOT bounce on the hard floor of the futsal court. Players must strike the ball with precision in order to zip it around the court or pummel it toward goal.
Q: How does futsal beneift players?
A: Futsal benefits players techncially, tactically, physically, and psychologically
Techncial Benefits to Futsal Training
- Learn to receive the ball with the sole of the foot
- Learn to dribble with the sole of the foot
- Learn to quickly change direction with the sole of the foot
- Learn to shield and protect the ball from 1 or more defenders
- Learn to take the 1st touch away from pressuring defender(s)
- Learn to beat defenders 1v1 using sole centric dribbling moves
- Learn to beat defenders 1v2 using sole centric dribbling moves
- Learn to pass accurately using all parts of the foot
- Learn to pass with appropriate speed in different situations
- Learn to strike the center of the ball with proper technique
- Learn 25 ball mastery skills to practice at home
Tactical Benefits to Futsal Training
- Learn to play in all directions to maintain possession
- Learn to involve the Goalkeeper
- Learn to think 1 step ahead. Learn to find options before receiving the ball
- Learn to beat defenders using combination play
- Learn to defend 1v2, 1v3, 1v4, 2v2, 2v3, 2v4, 3v3, 3v4, 4v4
- Learn to attack 2v2, 2v3, 2v4, 3v2, 3v3, 3v4, 4v2, 4v3, 4v4
- Learn to transition quickly from offense to defense and from defense to offense
- Learn to relax in tight situations
- Learn to move without the ball
- Learn to support from the proper distance and the best angles
- Learn to communicate relevant information
Physical Benefits to Futsal Training
- Increase strength
- Increase speed
- Improve fitness
- Improve agility
- Improve balance
- Improve foot eye coordination
- Improve timing
- Improve muscle memory
Psychological Benefits to Futsal Training
- Improve confidence with the ball
- Improve confidence in 1v1 attacking and defensive situations
- The quick transition and frequent scoring chances inherent to the game creates ups and downs and lead changes throughout the game. Teams can go from winning by 2 goals to losing by 2 goals in a hurry. Players will learn to cope with the adversity of being ahead and being behind
- Futsal requires greater control and more concentration. Players must develop better focus and more attention to detail
- Players will learn to think faster and make quicker decisions in order to adjust to the faster speed of play